An all-inclusive webpage providing electric vehicle (EV) prospective buyers with the necessary information to make informed purchase decisions has been officially launched by the state government.
The new online page is home to helpful and informative videos that will assist consumers — it provides an in-depth buyer’s guide and even debunks common misinformation associated with owning an EV.
WA Climate Action Minister Reece Whitby stated that this Cook Government initiative isn’t for the main purpose of convincing Western Australians to purchase EVs, it is about ensuring that the vehicles on our roads are powered by reliable and affordable clean energy.
“With this transition, we will see a range of benefits that extend beyond emissions reductions.
“It will deliver environmental benefits, new job opportunities, better health and financial outcomes, increased fuel security, cleaner cities, along with lower maintenance and running costs for motorists,” said Whitby.
The significant milestones achieved by the state government’s EV strategy to date includes:
- More than 12,000 EVs registered within WA
- More than 6.5 per cent of new car sales in the state during 2023 have been EVs
- Uptake of EVs has been boosted by 10,000 available rebates of $3,500
- The first 12 EV fast-charging sites on the WA EV Network are now in operation, with the remaining sites to be completed by mid-2024
- Injection of $130 million to build 130 electric buses in WA — with matched funds from the federal government to go towards associated bus depot charging infrastructure
- Rollout of the ‘ChargeUp’ grant scheme to support installation of more than 400 EV chargers across 200 sites for local governments, small businesses and not-for-profits
Whitby concluded that by working together, the industry and government can help drive WA towards a zero emissions future by 2050.
The WA government will be the strategic sponsor of the Australian Electric Vehicle Association EV Expo that will be held at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre from 3 to 5 November 2023.
During this event, the public will be given the opportunity to test drive EVs and speak to experts.