The Bankwest Stadium in the Greater Sydney City of Parramatta has become the first stadium in the world to announce it has achieved LEED v4 Gold certification for sustainability from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
An internationally recognised accreditation system, LEED or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design was developed by the USGBC to promote and recognise world class sustainable building strategies and practices globally. The revised LEED v4 for Building Design and Construction certification raises the bar to award projects that achieve better environmental, social and economic impacts.
Integrating sustainability into the design and construction of Bankwest Stadium was critical to Lendlease who worked closely with Infrastructure NSW, Venues NSW, VenuesLive, architects Populous, structural and civil engineers Aurecon and urban design and landscape architects ASPECT Studios.
The stadium unites green credentials with superior function and the LEED v4 Gold certification recognises many sustainable initiatives at Bankwest Stadium, including:
- Water efficiency through plants and capturing rainwater in a 260,000-litre rainwater tank
- Energy resourcefulness via effective mechanical plant efficiency and the installation of 100 kilowatts of photovoltaic solar panels
- Reducing the building’s embodied carbon through careful selection and use of building materials, as opposed to a traditional design
- Achieving over 90 per cent waste diversion from landfill, including recycling 700 kilograms of soft plastics from new seat covers, which have contributed to plastic wheel-stops and asphalt for roads
- Connectivity to public transport
- Activation of public spaces surrounding the stadium.
Dale Connor, CEO Building said by taking an innovative approach with clients and design partners, Bankwest Stadium embodies what is possible when collaborating towards achieving sustainability goals.
“This achievement is a testament to our commitment to creating the best places that balance our environmental obligations with community and economy.”
Bankwest Stadium is a NSW Government initiative. Lendlease was the design and construct head constructor, Populous managed architecture, interior design and wayfinding, Aurecon managed structural and civil engineering, wind engineering, ecological sustainable design and building services, and ASPECT Studios managed urban design and landscape architecture.